About Literacy Forsyth
The mission of Literacy Forsyth is to provide adult literacy services that educate, build self-sufficiency, and strengthen the community’s economic base. Literacy Forsyth and our partners have been successfully doing so since 1993, and we will continue to serve the Forsyth County community with your support.
- Free Tutoring for low-level and non-reading adults
- Free programs for Early Childhood Literacy - "Leap Into Literacy"
- Free tutoring, test prep classes, and study materials for students studying for the GED
- Free U.S. Citizenship test tutoring, test prep classes, and study materials
- Free English classes and tutoring for non-English speakers
- Free programs for Families
- Scholarships for GED test costs
Literacy Forsyth was founded in 1993 as a grassroots organization by individuals who had a passion for literacy, learning and improving the lives of their community. In 2005, we earned our designation as Forsyth County's only Certified Literate Community Program through the Technical College System of Georgia. We are funded by grants, donations and fundraisers. We have an 18 member Board of Directors, with two non-voting members from Lanier Technical Institute. Literacy Forsyth employs one full-time Executive Director, Pamela Burlingame and one part time instructor, Elizabeth Forster. We hold classes at our location, off Browns Bridge Road. We are located at 5140 Chattahoochee Industrial Park, Cumming, GA 30041 and at Cumming First United Methodist Church, 770 Canton Highway, Cumming, GA 30028. Our Early Childhood Literacy and Family Literacy Programs are held quarterly at various locations throughout Forsyth County. We also offer GED classes at The Place of Forsyth, 2550 The Place Circle, Cumming, GA 30040.